The placement of dental implants may be an option for people who wish to replace a lost tooth or a set of lost teeth. Dental implants can indeed replace the natural tooth, and make the regular task of food chewing easy and comfortable for its owner.
However, what are dental implants and which advantages to do they offer?
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is fabricated in laboratories. It is placed into the jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. The dental implant is generally made of titanium screw, which acts as the artificial root of our implant; and may therefore serve as a tooth crown or dental prosthesis.
There are two types of dental implants, which are also frequently used by our dental surgeons. These are:
- The endosteal implant: it is the most commonly used type of implant (it is directly inserted into the patient’s bone)
- The subperiosteal implant: this type of implants is used for patients who have minimal bone height.
Good candidates for dental implant placement:
Dental implants are destined for people who have lost a tooth or teeth due to any reason; and wish to replace them with (a) solid, artificial and permanent tooth or teeth. Losing a tooth can be the cause of several factors; these are generally associated with tooth decay or a bad incident.
Any patient who wishes to place dental implants needs to have an overall good health as well as a good oral health.
During the preliminary consultation with your dental surgeon, several examinations will be conducted in order to determine whether the patient is a good candidate for dental implant placement.
Why place dental implants?
Wearing dental prostheses may cause a certain discomfort as well as occasional pain for the patient. With dental implants; however, this pain is canceled and the patient is able to wear their prostheses comfortably.
Additionally, implants have the advantage of maintaining the prosthesis in place; hence, eliminating the risk of falling when eating (or even talking) while wearing your dental prosthesis.
The advantages of dental implants:
Dental implant placement is gaining preeminence by being largely performed in all corners of the world; while also promising very satisfying results. The success rate of dental implant placement is quite high, and the risks for complication after your oral surgery are relatively low.
Among the advantages of dental implants, we may cite:
- It represents one of the best existing alternatives for the replacement of a tooth (or set of teeth).
- The dental implant efficiently stabilizes the artificial tooth, which will be later on be inserted into the patient’s jaw.
- It is a permanent solution to tooth-loss: if the patient follows their doctor’s recommendations and advice to the letter, and scrupulously respects their dental hygiene, then implants may last for several years.
- Thanks to dental implants, you will be able to rejoice a satisfying replacement of your lost teeth (or tooth) on both the aesthetic and functional sides.
How is a dental implant placed?:
The surgery of dental implant placement is performed under local anesthesia. The dental surgeon will start by performing an incision inside the patient’s gum, and once the implant is placed, this incision will be sutured using stitches.
After that, it will be important to wait for a few weeks until the implant is naturally inserted into the patient’s gum.
Past this period, the dental surgeon will be able to place the tooth crown, which will replace the damaged or lost tooth.