It is by now acknowledged that heat and sunlight may negatively affect post-surgical scarring; hence the reason why patients are recommended not to go to beaches or be exposed to sunlight during the recovery period.
Effects of sun exposure after cosmetic surgery
Noticing blue ecchymoses on the operated area is very normal after body surgery (liposuction, abdominoplasty etc.); however, exposing bruises to sunlight may increase the risk of spot formation. It is therefore important that the patient rest at home for a period of ten to fifteen days.
Post-surgical scarring can take other forms: if you get a tan just after your surgery, the scar will get more significant and darker, that is why patients need to cover their scars if they decide to leave their houses.
It is strongly advised that you avoid the sun and all sources of heat in order to decrease the risk of inflammation. Yet, if it is difficult for you to stay at home during the summer, you just need to consider extra precautions.
Precautions to consider depending on surgery type
During summer time, precautions to consider differ depending on the type of surgery.
• During the few days following surgery, it is important that the patient stay home to rest properly and promote quicker healing. This period may extend from ten to fifteen days.
• If the patient has underwent blepharoplasty or facial lifting, and feels the urge to leave their place, they should wear big sunglasses, apply sunscreen, and cover their head with a huge hat for a period of fifteen to twenty days.
• It is strictly prohibited to sunbathe, and the resumption of the latter (or sports in general) should be done upon the surgeon’s approval.
• After liposuction, you should rest, avoid moving a lot, and wear contention panties several for weeks after the surgery.
• It is not advised to take off the panties to bathe for a period of two weeks. Panties can be only taken off to take a shower.
• After several weeks, you will need to protect your post-surgical scars from sunlight using sunscreen.
• If you notice inflammations or puffiness, you may apply a cold pad on the area of concern.