After having underwent a hair transplant surgery, several factors need to be taken into account.
Besides precautions, additional and adequate care needs to be carried out in order to ensure an optimal recovery period for the patient. Among operative follow-up, you will notice the formation of scabs on the operated area of the head.
What are these scabs and how do we treat them?
What are these «scabs»?
The formation of scabs is a normal process of the body after having underwent a hair transplant.
Scabs act as a natural protection that covers open wounds on the skin. Especially after a hair restoration surgery where many small incisions are made. These cause bleeding which leads to the subsequent formation of scabs.
The scabs occurring after the hair transplant usually dry within a couple of days and fall out. It is however recommended to use a lotion prescribed by the doctor to facilitate the restoration of hair follicles.
The treatment of hair scabs: instructions and duration
After having had recourse to hair transplantation, the surgeon will prescribe a medical treatment to cure scabs effectively. You will need to start taking the treatment 3 days after your hair transplant surgery.
It consists of a lotion that you will need to apply directly on the operated zone of your head.
The lotion will be prescribed by the doctor. As your doctor will also explain, you will need to apply it on the roots and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
Using the lotion until all scabs disappear is very important (this will take a few weeks). Bit by bit, you will notice that scabs are gone as well as scalp dehydration; and your scalp skin will accordingly regain its normal state.
Why should I undergo a treatment for hair scabs?
A treatment for scabs is mandatory after hair transplant surgery to ensure that your recovery goes in the best way possible. This entails that the patient has to make some efforts in order to accelerate the healing process and ensure optimal recovery of the scalp.
Besides the many precautions to consider after your hair transplant surgery, a treatment for scabs will help:
- Reduce itching: the formation of scabs causes itching. It is important not to scratch your scalp despite the itchiness lest you damage the recent implants. With the lotion, itchiness will be reduced and you will not feel the urge the scratch your head.
- Optimize the results of the surgery: it is important to let the scalp skin restore itself and hair implants adjust to their new environment. With the treatment, restoration and the adjustment of new hair follicles will go in the best way possible.
- Give the scalp a good appearance: scabs can give an unaesthetic appearance to your scalp; this is why it is important to use the treatment. Once the recovery period is over, your scalp will regain its initial state.
Other precautions to consider after your hair transplant surgery:
These points should be taken into serious account by the patient in order to ensure that the recovery period goes in the best way possible:
- It is mandatory to avoid scratching your scalp when you feel any itchiness.
- The lotion for scabs should be applied in the exact quantities and times prescribed by your doctor.
- You have to wait for 3 days before applying shampoo on your scalp; also, this should be done smoothly and without rubbing the hair. It is also important to rinse your hair with warm water after it. Once your hair is washed, delicately use a towel to dry your hair and avoid applying any pressure on your head.
- You should avoid going to the hairdresser for a few months after your intervention.